Published date: 21 Mar 2018
In a world where there is an abundance of data, how can businesses make the most of their rich audience insights to create engaging personalised content that opens doors to new conversations?
The simple answer? There is no magic formula. But when it comes to B2B marketing, developing a personalised approach can be key in helping to generate more revenue and longer-lasting client relationships.
What is personalised marketing?
If we strip it back to basics, personalised marketing comes in many forms. And by leveraging credible data insights, it’s entirely possible to create appealing content that sparks your audience’s interest on an individual basis. If you can get their attention by personalising in the right way, your job will be that much easier when it comes to keeping them engaged and building new relationships.
What are the challenges?
Although there are many more touchpoints to consider for the B2B user journey, this shouldn’t be a barrier if you are willing to map out a clear strategy at the beginning of a campaign. The following should always be challenged when considering your approach:
- Data: Having the optimal amount of data can be a challenge, and quality over quantity is especially important to ensuring a successful campaign delivery. The main thing to remember is to take a view on what type of information your audience will value most and how you can use individual data to tailor your communication. With GDPR taking effect from May 25th this year, it is naturally a good time to consider if the data you hold is of value. By taking the time to sift through and extract key nuggets of information can really add value to your communications.
- Technology: Data and technology work hand in hand and by now businesses are more than comfortable using technology to capture, retain and categorise data. Not only are data platforms able to refine the once lengthy process of sorting data, but there is now an abundance of AI tools out there to support with automation and machine learning. Using the right mix of platforms can really help to boost productivity, and in time support future campaigns with targeted recommendations and insights based on the continual analysis of data collected.
How do you execute personalised content?
So you have all the data you need, but how do you go about using it? Granted, it might be possible to craft an exceptionally tailored piece of content, but no one likes to be creeped out by over-personalisation. Categorising your audience will dramatically help to ensure you don’t overdo it. The following, should be considered when it comes to categorising your audience:
- Segment specific: personalised by industry vertical or segment criteria
- Persona specific: personalised for specific buyer types
- Stage specific: personalised for a stage of the buying process
- Account specific: personalised for a specific prospect organisation
- Lead specific: personalised for an individual lead*
Ultimately, you want your audience to feel like you’ve added real value to a subject they already have an interest in, and if targeted correctly this should help to support their decision to reach out for more information.
How do you measure success?
As with all campaigns, if you set clear KPIs at the start, it will be that much easier to measure whether your personalised content hits the mark. The following, should be familiar when evaluating any campaign, and even with basic analytics you can get a good understanding of what needs to be tweaked for next time:
- Consumption: measuring content views, downloads or similar actions
- Engagement: measuring session duration, conversion rate or content sharing
- Financial: measuring ROI, lead and sales opportunities*
Through continual testing, optimising and analysing your content, only then will you be able to build a true picture of what works and what doesn’t. So what are you waiting for? Get going and get personal.
*Content Marketing’s Evolution: The Age of Hyper-Personalization and Automation. Link: http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/253739/DemandMetric_Content_Personalization_Benchmark_Study_Report_Final.pdf?t=1521058191099